Last week I went on vacation and my writing slump felt like it was coming to an end. Then I realized that maybe I hadn’t been paying enough attention to myself. Maybe I was neglecting what my body and mind needs. Suddenly, the school year was over and I was on a beach without a care in the world, enjoying the breeze, listening to my son’s laughter, my husband next to me, and inspiration hit. Sometimes we just need to take a breather and life becomes manageable yet again.
Now that I feel inspired, I want to keep that feeling. Here are my top ten ways to do so. Please feel free to use them. Or if you have ways that help you, please share! 🙂
- Make a date for yourself. Literally. Set a time and pamper yourself. Be punctual. Prepare a special drink, nice snacks, and sit down to write. You deserve to be pampered so pamper yourself as you write what you love.
- Talk to your family and friends. Who knows?! They might give you that jump you need. Sometimes it is hard to discuss our hopes, dreams, and worries; however, sometimes, it actually helps. Try it. You might feel better and you might feel motivated to write once your worries are no longer just in your head.
- Make it “the usual.” My plan is to have a routine, routine, routine. I need to set that schedule of writing so that it is burned into my brain that it is writing time and to stick with that routine. It is hard as a teacher and a mother, but summer is summer…let the writing begin!
- Turn off electronics unless using them for your writing. Just do it.
- Be comfy. If that means writing naked, then by all means do so. If that means, wearing your PJs at 3:00 in the afternoon, then do it. Who cares! Just get comfy and write. I would advise against writing naked in a coffee shop though. Just sayin.
- Set a word count or time limit. You will feel accomplished in the end.
- Calendar check off. I haven’t tried this but think it will help. After every writing session, write down your word count or check off that you wrote that day.
- Be kind to yourself. Rewards work on everyone so why not you? I reward myself with reading or electronics or just laying around on the couch.
- Create a musical playlist. I am doing this today! All it takes is a little Guns N’ Roses to make me feel happy. So get your music ready and get to your writing.
- Just write. Sometimes, it is important to just break the rules. Forget all the 1-9 tips and just write. Write when you have inspiration, write when you don’t, write when you are waiting for your laundry, write when your child is watching a cute movie, write when you would normally be staring blankly at the television, write during your writing schedule …. just write.